Nikon has announced the Nikkor Z 85mm F1.8 S, a short fixed focal length prime lens for its full-frame mirrorless Z system. Nikon claims that the new fast portrait lens stands out for its “edge-to-edge sharpness” and “natural-looking bokeh”. Focus breathing “is all but eliminated,” Nikon add.
Compared to the existing AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8G the new lens has the same minimum focus, filter thread size, and weighs 70g more. The new lens is also 19mm longer, though it’s smaller in diameter by 2mm. Nikon currently advertise the AF-S lens with a list of £499.
The new lens will go on sale in September, 2019 at a list price of £799 / $799 / 999 Euros.
- 12 elements in 8 groups, including two ED elements
- Nano Crystal and Super Integrated coatings
- Nine-blade rounded aperture
- Minimum focus distance of 0.8m (2.62ft)
- Maximum magnification of 0.12x
- Focusing group driven by a stepping motor
- Thread provided for 67mm filters
- Customizable control ring
- Dust and drip resistance
- D x L: 75mm x 99mm (3.0 in x 3.9 in)
- Weight: 470g