Canon has announced the price and availability of the RF 85mm F1.2L USM. Designed for the mirrorless RF mount cameras, the new lens features a new optical design with aspherical and UD elements and is only the second lens, after the EF 35mm F1.4L II USM to feature Canon’s proprietary BR (Blue Spectrum optics) optics.
Canon is rightfully cagey about the BR technology but it is thought to be a balsam-type material sandwiched between two elements. It is meant to reduce longitudinal (axial) chromatic aberration, which appears in front of and behind the imaging plane in high-speed lenses like this and is thus difficult to remove post-capture. Intriguingly, Canon makes no such claim for the RF 50mm F1.2L USM, but images I’ve taken with it show little to no axial fringing anyway.
From the press release:
RF 85mm F1.2L USM Key Features:
- Extreme high-performance 85mm prime lens
- 85mm focal length to provide a flattering perspective ideal for portraits
- Very Large f/1.2 aperture with 9-aperture blade for superior low light performance and smooth background blur
- BR optics (Blue Spectrum Refractive optics) reduce chromatic aberration ensuring the highest image quality
- Aspherical and UD elements ensure the highest resolution across of the image
- USM motor for smooth, near-silent operation
- Control Ring – giving direct control over Tv/Av/ISO settings
- ASC (Air Sphere Coating) prevents flare and ghosting from deteriorating image quality
Pricing & availability:
The following products will be available from Canon’s online store and official Canon retailers from June 2019 with the following RSP:
- RF 85mm F1.2L USM £2,799.99/ €3,219.99
- Lens Hood ET-89 £69.99/ €79.99